Monday, May 10, 2010

Day 56: Week 8

**UPDATE 5/10/2010 (forgot quote of the day**
"Sounds like a bird in here." -Tony Horton- Legs&Back

If you ask me sounds more like Dreya faking an orgasm.

Before I talk about the up-in-coming week #8, I need to talk about week #7. A friend and I were talking about working out and getting results and how seeing results reinforces working out, and working out generates results, rinse and repeat into infinity. Which got me thinking. In a world heavily geared towards "Negative Feedback" (a process by which an action causes a reaction that prevents the first action, example: When the temperature of your room starts falling below the thermostat setting, the furnace kicks on - furnace activation prevents the action of the falling temp. When you get a headache, you take an Advil. When you get hungry, to eat a sandwich... etc etc.)...sorry about the tangent... In a world heavily geared towards negative-feedback, we see this prime example of a positive feedback. So it makes you think...

Q. why doesn't everyone workout and get into the positive feedback loop (workout, get results, results prompt more working out, getting even better results...)?
A. Insert week #7

Let me explain. Although positive feedback loops are great... there is one intrinsic problem. Once you hit a bump in the road, so to speak, you can throw the cycle off it's harmony. And most of us WILL hit a road bump, even myself (a Hum-V with a suspension designed to just soak in the harsh roads)... I got sick. And unfortunately for me, I got sick right before a big Spain trip, which I have to admit will be more like a Detroit sized pot-hole than a little bump. But that's okay. I understand what's happening. I see the light at the end of the tunnel and I know what I need to do when I return. And for any of the readers that have managed to get this far into my post, if you ever find yourself off of the positive feedback cycle, you'll need to do the same as me. GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF, TIE UP YOUR SNEAKERS, HIT THE GYM, HIT THE PAVEMENT, AND GET BACK TO WORKING OUT!

Okay - everyone still with me?

Week #7: I had my brother up from NH this weekend. Not fabulous for the diet, but I had a great time. Here are some of the bad things I ate: The Keg restaurant, wine, Buffalo wings (can't have someone come to Buffalo and not have Buffalo wings), wine, Cake (he brought as a gift), wine, lots and lots of coffee, and on ya, did I mention wine?

Week #8. Today I leave for Spain! Adios amigos! As you can probably imagine, the frequency of posts will likely drop to an abysmal level (perhaps once or twice a week). I apologize. It's not my intent to leave everyone hanging while I put back on 15lbs because I'll be eating out 100% of the time and exercising 0% of the time. No, it's because I'll be working 12hr days, with a time change, with a language barrier, and wandering the streets of Madrid. So hopefully everyone can accept that. But as I said above, full steam ahead when I get home!

1 comment: